Sunday, April 09, 2006

Whiz Wit

In Philly right now, having just finished Wharton Welcome Weekend and crashing at my friend Robert's place. WW was totally exhausting. Starting from Thursday through Sunday, everyday's schedule started from 8AM until 2AM. One night went until 3:30AM but I gave up. When they say Wharton students work hard, party hard, they really ain't kidding.

More thoughts on Wharton later. Right now, I'm suffering from food coma from eating at Pat's Cheesesteaks and Geno's Cheesesteaks. Yes, both. I nibbled off of David, who along with Robert, both bought 2 cheesesteaks each from both of these famous philly restaurants. Standing diametrically opposed on opposite street corners in South Philly, local debates on which one is better has raged on for decades. Although a little touristy, we had to put the ancient rivalry to the test! And it was well worth it- i now have my own personal favorite.


Pat's- known as the 'originator', this is the place that yells at you if you don't order the right way. I had a mushroom-cheesesteak-whiz-wit: meaning it came with cheez whiz "wit" onions. Pat's seems to be the hardcore, a load of ribeye steak, crusty french bread. You eat the whole thing with little round italian hot peppers, the sourness sort of balances the heaviness of the sandwich.

Geno's- the upstart, branding themselves as 'the best'. softer bread, the cheeze whiz seemed like a different brand- it was a little saltier/tangier, less meat but more tender/thinly sliced. the whole thing was juicy.

Final Verdict

Although Pat's seemed more hardcore- oldschool neighborhood, it just seemed kinda bland to me. It's weird because the two really do taste different. Geno's was more pansy/ McDonald'sesque, but it did the job. It had more flavor, was easier to eat and much juicier. I have found a cheesesteak I can crave. I now have a favorite - Geno's cheesesteak, whiz wit.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home